Tuesday 7 April 2015

Spring Wreath - Voilà!

At last, this morning, I have found an hour to wire my blue iris and to complete my Spring Wreath project. If I am honest I could probably have had it done a few weeks ago but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to give it that certain untangeable something that only a crafter can add to their work, I am however more than exceptionally pleased, every time I look at it I feel a warm, proud glow. The Spring Wreath is the first piece I have created that is truly personal and reflects precious memories. 

The pink peony I planted in the garden at our last home, in memory of my late godmother, Auntie Margaret. The daffodils remind me of my cott on Papa Westray, where hundreds of them grew along the track and in the garden, and in memory of Andrina who planted them. Pansies and primulas I planted in pots so that we had flowers in the garden when my daughter was born. The lily of the valley is for Mum, it's her favourite flower and she had a bouquet of it at her wedding in 2012, and finally the iris, well, that represents the first 10 years of my adult life when I was married to my first husband, a funeral director, and irises were always in abundance.

So this morning, I started with these ....



And now I have this ....


It's been a true labour of love, there have been many flowers I made that just didn't fit the bill and a beautifully complicated iris which came up as 11" wide, which was far too big for the 12" wreath but will be stiffened and mounted into a box frame, but in the end it has been worth it.

I already have plans for my Summer Wreath project, and although it will be flowered it is going to be a little outside the norm, and I am also considering making it from Shetland wool to make it extra special.

No comments:

Post a Comment