Monday 26 January 2015

In The Pink

My very stylish 7 year old loves to accessorise so I took this as an opportunity to try out Red Heart Boutique Sassy Fabric in Pink Dot. It's a chiffon type scarf yarn with pre-punched holes and a pretty scalloped edge that knits or crochets up incredibly quickly, and one skein makes a good adult length scarf.

As it is my first love I began by following the online tutorial and crocheting the fabric but I found that although it gave a good rounded 'fox's brush' effect, it also looked a little sparse between the 5 stitch groups so I pulled it back (which was extremely easy) and knit instead. There is also an online tutorial for knitting but it is a simple 4 stitch garter pattern, this at first gave a flat scarf but as I handled it the scarf elongated and again produced a boa look. The only downside that I found with Sassy is that the tension is set by the pre-punched holes and not by the needle / hook size or crafter's tension, this means that the scarf will always lengthen and the stitches become slightly visible between the frills but maybe I am just being picky. The ends of the scarf also need to be stitched in as it is impossible to pull the fabric into a tight knot.

On the whole, would I use it again? DEFINITELY, in fact I am intending to use it to teach Ethel to knit. 
 

Tutorials on YouTube - The Crochet Crowd channel

Red Heart Boutique Sassy Fabric purchased at:

No comments:

Post a Comment